Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Big Bird

About 2 weeks ago, I posted about the fabulous new pantry that Ben built.  (Tim the Tool man)  The pantry itself is GREAT and I love that our kitchen is so organized and I can actually find food and serving pieces!  About a day after it was built, I just kept staring at it because it was a huge yellow (honey to be exact) built-in in our kitchen.  I didn't want to hurt Ben's feelings (I picked out the color, so I was the one at fault), so I made a joke about Big Bird being in our kitchen.  To my excitement, he agreed!  We started brainstorming different ideas on how to improve the color/look of the pantry.  I knew that any solid color we painted it would just be too much because it is so big! 
We decided to add a few panels on 3 of the doors as well as add more brown tones to the honey paint color.  Ben cut out pieces of wood, painted them chocolate brown and attached to the front of the doors with wood glue.  It was definitely an improvement, but still wasn't our favorite.  I was trying to be positive about it but Ben was just not liking it.  During our "brainstorming" session, we discussed adding fabric panels to some of the doors, but that was just a thought we had. 
This past weekend, I headed to the fabric store to look for material to make curtains for our kitchen window.  (I really want plantation shutters, but that will hopefully come in time.)  I didn't want to spend a ton of money so decided I would stay out of the "upholstery/curtain" section and would head straight to the linen material.  Well, the linen material wasn't too great, so I headed to the "upholstery/curtain" section and the piece I found was on sale for 40% off!!  I took a swatch home to see if it matched and it looked great!  When Ben got home from guard this weekend, I showed him the swatch and he was like "this will look great over the panels on the pantry".  I was so excited that he mentioned the idea. 

I headed back to the fabric store on Monday and grabbed enough material for curtains and panels.  Within an hour of getting home, Ben had already taken one of the panels off and was ready to fix them.  The process took awhile because we had to do them individually and let the wood glue dry before we moved on to the next.  We were able to take the last clapse off this morning and we are really loving the new look!  It feels so warm and "homey". 

Excited to get busy on my "no sew" curtains!  Hoping to have those done this weekend or next week!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Can't wait to see your no sew curtains.

    ReplyDelete