Thursday, April 19, 2012

Everyday Suzy Homemaker....

Growing up, one of my favorite meals was brisket!  Mom would wake up early on a Sunday morning and put it in the oven and when we came home from church, it would be ready.  Those 6 - 7 hours of cooking just melted in my mouth! 
I've always said that I wanted to cook a brisket, but the thought of something cooking that long in an oven and not a crockpot was very daunting!  Last night, my dear friend Sarah and her "friend" Mark came over for dinner.  I might have been the most excited of everyone because I love meeting my friends new "friends" ;) 
We made the plans about a week ago, then came the task of "what to cook"?  I started looking through all my Cooking Light Magazines and then headed to my recipe book thats filled with recipes from my family.  I came across the brisket and I knew I had to try it!!  I forwarned Sarah before they came over that I was trying something new out and if it was a disaster, we'd call our favorite pizza joint, Blue Moon Pizza. 

Per my dad, the butcher, I cooked a half of a brisket.  This kind of threw the recipe off with timing so after much googling, Ben and I came up with how long to cook 1/2 brisket.  After much anticipation, we ate the brisket and it was a SUCCESS!!  The dinner was filled with laughter, wine, old friends, and a new friend.  We topped the dinner off with a SIMPLE somewhat light dessert from Skinny Taste called the Red, White, and Blueberry Trifle.  Since strawberries are very tasty right now, I opted to just use strawberries and no blueberries.  It was delicious!!  I will be making this dish again, with the blueberries, for our Red, White, & Blue Burgers & Brew party that we are having at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment