Friday, April 27, 2012

Just call me Martha!

Some of you are probably thinking "which Martha"?  Am I talking about my mom, Martha or Martha Stewart?  Well, it's a combination of the two!! 

Growing up, for some strange reason, I remember watching good ole Martha Stewart (pre jail time, of course) every Saturday morning at 11 a.m.  My brother cringed everytime Martha said "It's a good thing", but mom and I just laughed.  We both like to be crafty and creative, but neither of us can be labeled a full fledged Martha Stewart by any means!  My grandmother use to make all of my beautiful dresses growing up.  These things were seriously AMAZING!!  I do though remember one dress my mom made me and I loved it (because it was colorful and had layers of ruffles with different colors), but I seriously think it could have been made in Sewing 101.  The clothes that my mom and I really liked to make together though were those splatter painted cotton outfits that you could find at the Arts & Crafts shows.  Mine were usually the white shirts with the matching wine cotton pants that you bought at Michaels.  We would hang them from the tree outside and just start splatter painting.  If we got real crafty, we would cut out a shape from the expandable sponges and add some sponge painting.  Top the outfit off with matching socks, the fake Keds from Mervyn's, and a big hair bow and I was marked the best dresser!! 

A week ago, I posted about how we added fabric to the pantry that Ben built (Big Bird).  I also mentioned that I was going to make curtains out of the same fabric in the kitchen. (My fabulous sister in law, Hannah gave me the idea).  My end goal is to have plantation shutters in the kitchen, but that rings $$$ in Ben's head.  I found the fabric at Hancock Fabric for 40% off, bought some "No Sew" iron on strips, bought a $5 white spring rod from Bed Bath & Beyond and spray painted Nickle, and bought 2 packages of curtain clips that were on clearance at BB&B.  So these curtains are "Design on a Dime" style!  Yes, I was going to take them to my alterations lady and get her to sew the hems, but then Martha (aka, my mom) said, "you're going to make them with no-sew strips, right"?  Well, that knocked a chunk out of the cost by not going to the alterations, and the strips cost like $4, so it seemed like the perfect curtain making solution! 

Martha Stewart would be proud that I made my own curtains and my mom, Martha would be proud that I didn't pick up a needle to make them!! 

Don't get me wrong, these are not the most fabulous things in the world, but they work, they were inexpensive, and they add some color to the room.  Most importantly, they can be shut when I'm home alone!!

Last, thanks to Martha Stewart for her 11 a.m. Saturday morning tutorials and thanks to my mom for finding a way to cut a few corners and make things even when you can't sew a stitch!!

Just a splash of complimentary colors in our kitchen.

Close up of the curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment