Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Whole30...Day 1

It's clearly been awhile since I blogged but I wanted to keep a record/my thoughts on our journey with Whole30. There are a few reasons we are doing this...

  1. Over the past few years, I have had stomach issues where I'm in so much pain. While pregnant, they thought they pinpointed it and I was able to get the virus out but it came back...
  2. I have about 5/10 more lbs of pregnancy weight to lose and lets be honest, I just want my jeans to fit like they did prior to pregnancy.
  3. When we are eating healthy, it makes us want to work-out.
  4. Ben still has his "pregnancy weight" and would like to lose it.
  5. We also hope this helps jump start eating healthy as a whole - especially since Deacon can begin eating "our" food now.
Day 1 started on Labor Day. I hadn't gone grocery shopping or anything. My family was in town all weekend and we binged ate - cupcakes, desserts, mexican, pizza, etc. 

Ben had done some Whole30 research but since I usually go to the grocery store, I clearly needed to know something.... I had a few friends who have done Whole30 before and told me they have recipes on their Pinterest board. The night before we started, I went through and pinned some things from their boards and then Ben and I sat down and figured out our meals for the week. We are going to attempt to make enough food for dinner and then lunch the following day. (We will see how that goes...)

The next morning, Ben made us an egg... I refrained from coffee since you have to drink black or with coconut milk.

I was off on Labor Day but Ben needed to go into the office. Deacon went down for his morning nap and I finalized the grocery list and finally did research so I wouldn't be completely in the dark on what the heck I was doing over the next 30 days. 

Lunchtime happened and all I had in the house was a sweet potato so I added little cinnamon (I had to look and see if I could even add this) and popped it in the oven. I found out later that Ben basically had a gourmet meal - a bun-less bison burger with avocado on top...

After lunch, Deacon and I headed to the grocery store. I felt pretty organized but it still took me an hour! Searching for stuff like coconut milk, almond flour, ghee, bacon with no sugar, etc. I could not find any of this at Kroger but, we did buy lots of other meets and veggies.  I'm hoping the rest of my grocery trips aren't as stressful - lets be real, it was painful!


Once Ben got home, we needed to go to the new Sprouts that just opened near our house. We were able to find no-sugar bacon and all of the other "Whole 30 approved" items.  

Dinner on night 1 was pretty yummy. I edited the Baked Coconut Shrimp recipe in order to comply with the "rules".  I also steamed some squash and Ben added a spice concoction he threw together. For the sauce on the shrimp, instead of using pineapple preserves, I muddled fresh pineapple. It didn't turn into a sauce but more of a chunky liquid but added some flavoring. For the shrimp, I substituted the cornstarch for almond flour. 

We made 2 lbs of shrimp and have PLENTY for a lunch meal. 

We are both dessert people...Ben gave me a pitted date to help with my sweet craving. I will not make a comment on that one pitted date I had after dinner...

All in all, Day 1 wasn't terrible...

No comments:

Post a Comment